Dr. Michael Zitney
Dr. Zitney is presently Director of the Headache & Pain Relief Centre and is a member of the natural Pain Relief Centers Medical Advisory Board. Previously, Dr. Zitney was Chief of Long Term Care Unit, York Central Hospital where he was in charge of patient rehabilitation and set policy regarding pain control and recovery from injuries and surgery. He has had numerous speaking engagements relating to migraines and chronic pain. In addition, Dr. Zitney has participated in numerous scientific studies; Study No. 518/400-An open-label study to evaluate the quality of life, efficacy and safety of 20 mg sumatriptan nasal spray in the acute treatment of migraine; 1999.
Email Dr. Michael Zitney -
- Doctor of Medicine, 1985 University of Toronto
- Rotating Internship, 1986 Toronto East General Hospital
- Fellowship Course on Palliative Care, 1995 University of Toronto
- Pain and Symptom Management Conference, 1995 University of Toronto
- Eleventh International Congress on Care of the Terminally Ill, 1996
- Second Annual Cervicogenic Headache Conference, 1997
- Diamond Headache Clinic: Approach to the Difficult Headache Patient, 1997
- Fellowship: Headache and Pain Relief Centre, 1996-1997
- Office-Based Methadone Treatment Workshop, 1998 Addiction Research Foundation
- Update on the Management of Migraine: A practical approach of effective treatment of headache, 1998
- American Academy of Pain Management: Educating for a Healthy Future, September 2000; Pain Management: A Challenge for the New Millennium, September 2001
- The Foundation for Medical Excellence: Managing Difficult Chronic Pain Patients, May 2002
- Upper Extremity Pain and Dysfunction: A Practical Approach to the Diagnosis and Management of Common and Sometimes Overlooked Conditions, April 2004
- Nutrition for Docs 2005, Controversies and Trends: Examining the Evidence, November 2005
- Pilot Session of Demystifying Pain: Differentiating the Types of Noncancerous Chronic Pain, June 2006
- Harvard Medical School presents: Principles and Practice of Pain Medicine, June 2006
- A Migraine Update: Current Status on Stroke and CVD Risk, October 2006
- Third International Forum on Pain Medicine, June 2007
- Locum practice, 1986-1989
- Private Family practice, Thornhill, Ontario, 1989-1998
- On staff at York Central Hospital, 1989-1998
- Chief of Long Term Care Unit, York Central Hospital, 1995-1998
- Headache and Pain Relief Centre, 1996-present
- Duties include instructing Family Physicians and Medical Residents on the diagnosis and treatment of Headache and Chronic pain.
- Director, Headache and Pain Relief Centre, 2000-present
- Program Director, Natural Pain Relief Centre, 2007
- Member of College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Member of OMA section on Chronic Pain Physicians
- Member of Cervicogenic Headache Society
- Member of American Academy of Pain Management
Guest Speaker at Conferences
- ‘Managing the Difficult Headache Patient’, June 16, 1998, Oshawa, Ontario.
- ‘Management of Headache Pain’, July 16, 1998, Toronto, Ontario.
- ‘Managing the Difficult Headache Patient’, November 19, 1998, Oshawa, Ontario.
- ‘Optimizing Opioid Therapy in Pain Management’, November 1999, Trenton, Ontario.
- 37th Annual Scientific Assembly, Ontario College of Family Physicians; November 18-20, 1999; ‘Optimizing Opioid Therapy in Non-Cancer Pain’, (co-presenter).
- Grand Rounds; November 26, 1999, Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital.
- National Family Practice Nurses Conference; June 9, 2000; ‘Pain Management, A comfort level for nurses’.
- Annual Meeting of Pain Relief Professionals; April 25, 2000; ‘How to do a Safe Nerve Block’
- Presentation for Family Physicians; July 14, 2000; ‘Office Management of Migraines’
- ‘Optimizing Opioid Therapy in Pain Management’, August 23, 2000, Toronto, Ontario.
- ‘Optimizing Opioid Therapy in Pain Management’, September 12, 2000, Thornbury, Ontario.
- ‘Treating the Challenging Headache Patient’, December 13, 2000, Toronto Western Hospital Family Medicine Grand Rounds, Toronto, Ontario.
- ‘Optimal Control of Migraines: Discuss and Differentiate among the various migraine treatments’, May 24, 2001, Toronto, Ontario.
- ‘Issues in the Treatment of Non Malignant Pain’, May 15, 2002, Toronto, Ontario.
- ‘Optimizing Opioid Therapy in Pain Management’, June 5, 2002, Brampton, Ontario
- 40th Annual Scientific Assembly, Ontario College of Family Physicians; November 16, 2002; ‘A Painless Approach to Treating Chronic Pain’ and ‘Headaches’
- ‘Optimizing Opioid Therapy’, September 17, 2003, Mississauga, Ontario
- ‘Optimizing Opioid Therapy’, October 15, 2003, Alliston, Ontario
- Participant at ‘McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada’s Balanced Lifestyles Employee Show’, May 5, 2005, Toronto, Ontario.
- Study No. 518/400-An open-label study to evaluate the quality of life, efficacy and safety of 20 mg sumatriptan nasal spray in the acute treatment of migraine; 1999
- Amerge Patient Preference Study, protocol S2W40028; 2000
- Duragesic Pain Assessment and Treatment Choices (PATCH) Program, June-November 2002
- Patch Program Advisory Panel for Janssen-Ortho, November 2002